Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Happy New Year!

Like I said in my previous post June 21st, the winter solstice, is the Aymara new year. They worship the Sun as a god. So to welcome the new year, every one climbs the hill that we burned before sun rise.


Here we are making the long trek up.


The whole town was up their waiting for the sun to rise. Luckily Eli made some hot chocolate.



right as the sun rises everyone raises their hands and prays to the sun. Here is my family. Elvis, Jovy, Eli and Theodora.


Afterwords we celebrated with the families favorite meal! Guinea pig!! When I took this picture, I had no idea that the next day I was going to help kill and eat this Guinea Pig.... it was traumatizing and yes, it tastes just like chicken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are having quite a time. What amazing memories. Send us an email. Love, Mom