Monday, May 10, 2010

La Paz



So the last week has been interesting! A lot of traveling; six cities in seven days. Lima (doesn’t REALLY count bc I was only in the airport for 7 hours), Cusco, Puno, Copacabana, Siripaca and La Paz. It has been fun. For that reason I haven’t been able to really get to work just yet. Things are traveling at hyper speed and it has all been a bit overwhelming. Once I get back to Copacabana I will be able to really settle in and roll up my sleeves.




Right now I am in a café in La Paz.(I have been taking advantage of the wifi they have here) It is a very captivating city. You never hear about La Paz being high on people’s traveling lists. However, I must admit that I am glad that I have had the opportunity to come and see it. The poverty is very apparent, but there are parts that are very sophisticated and charming.


It is intense because the heart of the city is settled in a deep valley that has extremely steep walls. As the city has grown, the houses have climbed up the ravines. Its amazing that they can build houses on such a dramatic incline. I just hope a serious earthquake never hits them. To add to the majesty of the city, it is over looked by the mountain Illimani. It peaks at 21,194 feet!! No wonder, it is viewed as a deity.










(I didn't take these pictures, I just got them off of google images, the colonial alley way pic was of this blog: http://sergiostagnaro.blogspot.com/2009/09/la-paz-bolivia.html)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What an adventure! So glad we can see where you are! Keep it up!