Thursday, August 26, 2010

My crush on Bernini

Freshman year of college I remember taking a humanities class. Our teacher would show us a lot of different photos. I remember when he showed us the picture of Bernini's David. I said out loud to the girls sitting next to me..." wow... that statue is hot!" My friends laughed and my teacher overheard. He then told me that Bernini had made this statue as a self portrait. That is when my crush on Bernini started.

Every once and I while I get in an artistic mood and crave pencil and paper. I was in this mood a lot the semester I took my humanities class. So I decided to draw Bernini's David. Ever since then I always paid attention when some one mentioned Bernini and his art. When the book and movie Angels and Demons came out I loved it because Bernini was mentioned a ton.
My family and I just went to Italy and had an amazing time. While we were in Rome I was amazed at how Bernini's work was EVERYWHERE. He truly was the most amazing sculptor. When we took the tour of Vatican city

I was pleasantly surprised to see Bernini was everywhere. He lived the majority of his life in Rome and left Vatican City covered in his art and architecture.

Before we left I made a sure that I could see the David statue in person. We went to the Borghese museum and I had an experience that was more than I had hoped for. They had many of his sculptures there and my feelings went from crush to love. I mean look at some of these statues. Aren't they AMAZING?




This is the Statue Apollo and Daphne. She is turning into a tree. It is beautiful in person.




The Rape of Proserpina amazed me... these pictures explain why.

Here are some of my other favorites



we saw this in St. Peter's Basilica



So yes he is a man of genius and yes I am in love... too bad we were born several centuries apart. Oh well... at least now I know what my answer will be when people ask "if you could spend time with anyone from history, who would it be?"


A: Bernini.
Of course I spent the most of my time in the Borghese museum in the room with David ;)

2 comments:

BecomingtheBeestons said...

Oh I just miss you and your humanity! I absolutely love his work too! You look like you're having such a great time! I sure miss you my friend!!! I'm so glad you are a good blogger so I can keep updated! I love you!!!

Elissa Stewart said...

I'm pretty sure I remember when your crush started. Maybe you'll find your own Bernini, and he'll constantly be dragging in stone powder into your house after a day of sculpting and you'll have to yell at him to stop dirtying the carpet. That would be the day, wouldn't it?