Sunday, August 23, 2009

The homework fairies are comming back into my life


I must say I am a nerd! I love this time of year. You are just ending a fun filled summer. It is still warm and you are satisfied. Then school starts. For some reason I think I am in the minority, but I absolutely love the first day of school! There is an exciting energy in the atmosphere. You have new classes, teachers and classmates. Life is presenting you with the same old routine that you have followed since you were 5 and yet there are new possibilities. Like any fresh start I always feel the hope that I can improve upon the person I was last semester. I usually fill myself of expectations on how I am going to be the best student in class. I tell myself that I will always stay on top of my homework and establish a great relationship with all of my professors. In the back of my mind I am also pumping myself up with the confidence that I am going to rock the social scene. Those moments are quite enjoyable. I have succeeded in convincing myself that all dreams will become a reality this semester. There are no foreseeable obstacles in my path to perfect happiness. So I head to my first day of class in my favorite outfit and listen to all of my teachers read their syllabus'. I try not to buy into their intimidating speeches about how demanding their class will be. Life is going to be a perfect balance of school, work and fun, no matter what my teachers say. My blissful honeymoon attitude lasts for a while, life is great and is going to get better. I go to class, learn and then I go home and have fun. This all comes to a screeching halt on the day of that first quiz or paper. Then I remember that I was supposed to be doing school out side of school. The little homework fairies... or should I say devils... start doing their little dance in my brain and slowly stamp out all of those hopeful expectations of a healthy, happy balanced semester. After they have completed their work of destruction, they bind me in chains and lead me to that cold library and up to the corner seat on the fourth floor.... to become a slave to my education.
I guess what I am saying is that I am excited for the first day of school this semester, but I am also excited that it will be my last full semester before graduating.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the first day of school, too! There is nothing like that feeling...during the fall especially. Enjoy your first day! I am sure your back to school outfit is stunning! Love you!